Sunday, April 18, 2010

update 2

we are still in North Carolina. After driving back home from Atlanta on friday, we have spent the day on the phone with many different airlines.  My sweet father in law spent 6 hrs on the phone with delta. What it ended up coming down to is us frantically trying to get  Andy on a solo flight asap. Because we couldn't afford 9-10,000 dollars in new plan tickets for all three of us(the only way to do it would have been to try and book on a different airline, and of course, with a natural disaster all prices are jacked way up) But we thought about doing it for one. We found one flight. It would have taken him on Monday night to Huston, then to Tel Aviv, then after 9 hrs in tel aviv, he'd make it to Addis at 5:30 am on wed and pick Belay up and head immediately to the embassy. Then he would have to turn around friday and do the same flight back solo, exhausted, and with a new baby.
We almost booked it. We were on the phone with the airline and trying at that very minute to decide if it was worth it or not, and we just couldn't do it.

The thought of not going was too painful for me, plus the thought of being home alone with Adi and no help for when I needed to go to school was just not a good thought.
So, we are taking our chances that we leave tomorrow. Some airlines are opening and the have run 10 test flights all showing no problems today.

The problem is we have to leave before we know if the flight is canceled.  The is no way around it, if we don't show up and are flight is not canceled, then we have wasted all the money on 3 tickets, and if we drive there and it is canceled, we have to drive back home to get back to work and school and on with our lives for 2 weeks until we hopefully can try again.

So, at this point, we just really really don't want to drive the 3.5 hr to Atlanta airport to then turn around and drive home the same day.

Oh how badly I want to board that plan tomorrow. The last two mornings waking up to no updates on flights taking off have been like reliving the disappointment all over again. And I fear it will be tomorrow again.

Thinking about how we would be holding him now is what hurts the most.

Trying to let go of some of this hurt, but it is really hard right now.


  1. Jane,

    Oh I SO feel for you and your family! Here's the good news:

    1. Little B has no idea what is going on, and is not missing you.
    2. He is YOURS, and even if that takes 2 more weeks (excruciating for you as that may be), he's already a Cross, and IS coming home.

    All of us on the group are praying for you like crazy, and checking our computers a million times a day for updates. Just love on Adi, knowing that these are your last days as a family of 3!

    Much love to you,

  2. Oh, your aching heart, Jane! You will get there!! I am SO sorry you are going through this! Praying.

  3. I've been thinking of you all morning & checking flight status stuff...hoping & praying that you are on your way.

    Big hugs ~ Dardi